What is HMO?
HUMAN MILK OLIGOSACCHARIDES, otherwise known as HMOs, are a very special type of prebiotics found in human milk. In fact, they are the third largest component of human milk after carbohydrates (lactose) and fat. However, until very recently it was not widely understood how exactly these prebiotics are beneficial to children and why it's important for them to be in your kid's diet.1
Now, with Abbott Nutrition's 15 years of breakthrough research, we know that a specific HMO functions as an immunity booster and provides numerous health benefits to a growing child.2 Being able to include this important nutrient in children’s formula milk is one of the biggest advances in child nutrition.#
Why is HMO important for your child?
It’s a fact: preschool kids tend to get sick often. In fact, children under the age of 6 years catch an average of six to eight colds a year, aside from ear infections, bouts of diarrhea and other illnesses. Some children also develop allergies, asthma, and eczema.3
Did you know that one of the best ways to prevent illnesses and boost the immune system can be found in the gut?
HMOs can help build a healthy
The HMOs found in human milk support your growing child’s digestive system. And because 70% of the immune system exists in the gut, keeping your little one’s digestive system healthy also means strengthening their immunity.4
How does HMO work?
There are 3 ways by which HMOs help strengthen your child's immune system.5
First, HMOs serve as food for good bacteria in the gut. When beneficial bacteria are properly nourished, they are able to grow, multiply, and fight off bad bacteria. Good bacteria also produce short-chain fatty acids that strengthen the immune system further.
Second, HMOs act as decoys that prevent bad bacteria from attaching to gut cells thus, preventing them from entering your child's system.
Third, some HMOs are also absorbed into the bloodstream where they can trigger immune cells to release protective factors, regulate allergies or infections in your child. Thus, HMOs deliver an immunity boost beyond the gut.
Give your child new Similac®Gold 3 – the world’s 1st formula with HMO, that strengthens immunity and 10 key brain nutrients for faster learning.
- How Human Milk Oligosaccharides Help Babies. May 2018. Retrieved from http://www.nutritionnews.abbott/healthy-moms-babies/how-human-milk-oligosaccharides-benefit-babies.html
- Why Human Milk Oligosaccharides Are the Next Big Breakthrough. February 2017. Retrieved from http://www.nutritionnews.abbott/healthy-moms-babies/breakthroughs-in-infant-nutrition.html
- Buck, Rachael. Trust Your Gut: 6 Ways to Boost Your Child’s Immune System. July 2017. Retrieved from http://www.nutritionnews.abbott/healthy-moms-babies/six-ways-to-boost-your-child-s-immune-system.html.html
- Why Human Milk Oligosaccharides Are The Next Big Breakthrough. February 2017. Retrieved from http://www.nutritionnews.abbott/healthy-moms-babies/breakthroughs-in-infant-nutrition.html
- Buck, Rachael H. How Do HMOs Support Baby’s Immune Development?. Global R&D, Abbott Nutrition, 2017. † Mintel Consulting #not from human milk.